Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday #6


Weigh in Wednesday is a weekly meme started by Lauren at Epilogue Review, and this week's topic is POETRY VS. PROSE.

My answer is...both!  I love novels written in poem format/verse.  A lot of people seem to be scared of verse novels, thinking they'll be confusing and inscrutable, but I often find the opposite is true--they're actually quick, easy and even relaxing to read.  Since there are less words per page, the pages just seem to flip by so fast, the books are addictive and easy to finish in one sitting!  I especially love when authors arrange the words, lines and line breaks to add to the meaning of the text.  On the other hand, there are some stories that just won't work in verse format, like high fantasy and sci-fi novels that require a lot of world-building, for example.  I think if I read either exclusively prose or poetry, I'd get tired of reading more quickly, so overall I'm glad to have both available to read!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm..I still like prose. In poetry there's not enough room for building the atmosphere or describing a scene of a story. Well, at least it's my experience of reading poems or plays.

    ReplyDelete